So, imagine how happy I was to discover that Costco members can buy Costco Cash Cards online, using any major credit card. The cash cards can then be used to pay for purchases when you shop or gas up at Costco.
Register online at www.costco.com to establish an account, if you don’t already have one. Search the website for costco cash card, select the cards you want to purchase, etc. There’s no shipping fee and they usually arrive in 3-5 business days. You do have to activate them once they arrive, but it’s just a quick phone call. If you shop there as often as we do, it’s worth it – especially if those extra miles make the difference between getting bonus miles or not.
– If you have an Executive membership, where you get 2% cash back, you might want to keep using your American Express for in-store purchases. I discuss this in another post.
– The Costco website says “Members and non-members may use the cash cards to shop at any Costco location in the United States, Puerto Rico or on costco.com” but my experience has been that you need your membership card at the checkout, so I’m not sure how non-members could use the cash cards inside the store. I haven’t tried it at the self check out, though.
– My experience does show that you only need the cash card, not the membership card, at the gas pump. So you could buy the cash cards and give them as gifts, even to non-members.
– The cards are reloadable, but only in person at the store. I just buy new cards instead of bothering with reloading. If Costco ever makes it possible to reload online, I will take advantage of it.
– Since the cards are like cash, I don’t like to load too much money on a card – in case it gets lost or stolen. You, in effect, register the cards to activate them, so it may be possible to freeze a missing card and transfer it to a new card or get a refund. I will post about this if I find out anything.