I posted last week that CHASE replaced one of our cards because of the data breach at Target. It’s a bit of a hassle, to be sure. But it’s not as much of a hassle as it could be. In my files with all my account info I have a list of all the autopays I have set up for my credit cards. For some, I know to sign on to a website to make a change. For others, I have to call and I have the phone number listed so I don’t have to go searching for it.
It took less than half an hour to make the changes. Let’s hope I go longer than two years before I have to get a replacement card. I remember the good old days when I had my credit card for so long I had the number memorized. I used to have my library card memorized, too.
Sort of scary, actually….